Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Crafting Away- More Cross Stitch Tips

I am still working on the footprints cross stitch.  Thankfully I am stabbing myself less, undoing tangles and knots less, and accomplishing more (with fewer mistakes)... I guess I am learning by trial and error.  While it doesn't seem like I have accomplished all that much I am happy to report I have completed five colors on the pattern so far.  I have been busy with some craft orders as well so the progress hasn't been as fast as I would like.  I love that the little blue Xs are becoming a beautiful nature scene and I can't wait to see the finished piece.  In addition to the cross stitch tips and tricks I recently posted, I've also learned:

    • As you stitch the thread becomes twisted.  Stopping every once and a while to let the thread and needle hang will help prevent tangles and knots.  The weight of the needle will allow the hanging thread to unwind making it less likely the thread will cause you trouble.  
    • While some crafters I spoke with disagree, I find it easiest to work with one thread color at a time.  While more experienced cross stitchers may prefer to have multiple threads going at once, I find it easier to follow a pattern and keep the cross stitch neat by working one color start to finish before beginning the next color.
    •  The patterns for cross stitch can be hard to follow.  There are a lot of tiny symbols each representing a color and stitch and many of them can look a like.  One way to keep track of what you have done and what remains is to highlight the stitches that are complete.  
    • Bobbins
    • A system to keep track of your threads is very important.  Who knew there were so many thread options?  It may seem easy to remember which thread is which now but your best bet it so start a storage system.  I have seen some people just wrap the thread in the wrapper and staple it so it stays snug. While this might work well for larger amounts of thread, small scraps that may come in handy later need a better system.  I found a pack of cheap pieces of cardboard (also come in plastic) called bobbins.  These little helpers keep threads organized, tangle free, and you can write on them to easily identify a thread number.  These bobbins can then be stored loosely in a bag, on a ring, or they even sell special cases fits just for this purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment