Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Currituck BBQ Company North Carolina BBQ- Road Trip Part II

To read Part I of our road trip click here: Antique Road Trip Post.
Now as my cousin would tell you, "You simply can not come down South and not have some good old Fashioned North Carolina Bar-B-Que."  I love that road trips allow you to get a taste for local culture, instead of just a view of the tourist hot spots.  So when my cousins told us we would be stopping at the Currituck BBQ Company for lunch I was one happy camper.  Its right off of the main strip heading down to the Outer Banks so it makes a great stop for family's traveling to and from the beach. 

The menu has a nice selection of BBQ favorites along with southern sides like green beans, potato salad, and fried okra.  The prices were very reasonable for the serving sizes too. After much debate I ordered a regular sized pulled pork platter with baked beans and mac and cheese. Once you decide on what you want you can either grab a table in their dinning room or a bench right outside.  Since it was raining when we stopped we opted for the dinning room with the great cozy country kitchen feel.  There are booths as well so don't worry about coming with a large group.      

Despite the constant flow of people the staff was very polite and managed to keep up well with the rush.  We received our food quickly and it was everything my cousins promised it would be.  The pulled pork sandwich comes without BBQ sauce so you can choose one of the six they provide you with on the table and customize the sandwich to your liking.  There were too many good options to just pick one so I decided to split my sandwich up and give a few of them a shot.  Of the four I tired (North Carolina, Brisket, Sweet Brisket, and Larry's Original) I thought the Larry's Original was the best.  The mac and cheese was creamy and flavorful and the baked beans were the perfect combination of smokey and sweet.  I loved everything I ordered but I think my favorite part of the meal was the fresh hush puppies.  I didn't order them because in the past I found most places serve mushy oily corn balls.  I decided to take the word of a local when they said these were the best hush puppies around and give them one more try.  Wow were they right! These tiny little snacks were perfectly crisp on the outside and bursting with moist rich flavor on the inside.  They were so good you don't even need the butter they give you.






















This BBQ joint will be a definite stop on any future North Carolina road trips.  I may not be an expert on down south BBQ but I do know that this food tasted great, there was a constant line of locals looking for their regular BBQ fix, and the large map by the door shows that people have traveled from all over the US just to get a taste of this North Carolina BBQ. What to do if you fall in love with the food but don't think you will be back anytime soon? Not to worry they have a shelf just for you filled with their BBQ sauces and other goodies.  Just because you don't live in the south doesn't mean you can't take a taste of North Carolina home with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment