Friday, August 17, 2012

Hobby Lobby!

About a year ago I heard about Hobby Lobby on a TV show dedicated to highlighting quality companies.  Not only is Hobby Lobby a large craft/hobby chain store, as I learned they are also a value based company. The Christian founders of the company still close stores on Sunday and have a large array of religious items in stock.  While not all of my readers may agree with their Christian values, I find something admirable in the fact that they keep their beliefs as a core part of their business.  As a crafter who gets many requests for unique religious gifts and decor I also appreciated the religious items that can be hard to find when crafting.  

Anyway, after hearing about Hobby Lobby on TV I asked my craft buddy from work if she had ever been to a Hobby Lobby.  While we have Michael's and AC Moore in NYC we unfortunately do not have a nearby Hobby Lobby.  I kept saying I would make my way to a Hobby Lobby eventually but it wasn't until this past weekend that I finally got to explore.  There was one not far from the route I was driving and the ten minute detour was well worth it.

As soon as I walked in I was greeted by this beautiful fall foliage tree.  While I am enjoying every last minute of summer, I also love the fall season so it was nice to see this decorative touch.  It may not be important to everyone whether their craft store decorates, but to me it is more than just looks.  Sure a pretty store can lift my mood, but it also shows that the owners/ staff of that store have an appreciation for creativity.  Like the crafters who frequent their stores they can take parts and envision a greater whole.  It is a connection to the store and materials I just don't feel looking down an aisle of bins and racks.

The effort put into Hobby Lobby was evident in more ways than one.   I was immediately struck by the size and neat layout of the store.  While I do enjoy exploring through chaotic craft stores, it is nice to walk into a store sometimes and to know exactly where to find what you are looking for.  Even the clearance section was organized and   When everything is neatly displayed you will be surprised what new things you may come across.  I don't know about you, but my mind is always looking for new ways to create and it can be the least expected thing that will trigger a new project idea.

Along with the aisles upon aisles of crafts there is also a large selection of home decor items.  Creativity can be expressed in so many ways and this is one of the few stores that give you the tools to turn your home into a work of art.  Neatly organized are decor items for firefighters, cowboys, police officers, car lovers, and musicians just to name a few.  I had one of my best guy friends with me and he HATES craft stores.  I usually have to beg him to stop in with me when we are hanging out and pass a craft store.  Since I was driving this time he had no choice but to come along.  I was sure that I would hear complaints about stopping the rest of the drive but boy was I wrong.  While he still was not amused by the typical craft store items he was like a kid in a candy store when it came to all the unique decor sections.  He even asked as we were leaving if Id let him know the next time I was heading to a Hobby Lobby!

Overall I have to say Hobby Lobby met my expectations and surpassed them.  My little detour turned into just the fun I needed on a rainy summer day.  I will definitely be heading back in the near future.  I'm thinking a pre-Halloween trip will be a necessity after seeing their adorable Halloween displays.  Halloween happens to be my second favorite holiday, running a close second to Christmas, and Hobby Lobby has plenty of unique items for both.


         

If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area (or are willing to go a little out of your way for a good craft store) dont forget to download their SmartPhone App.  The app provides coupons and the more you save the more crafts you can get! So whats your favorite part of Hobby Lobby, or is there another craft store you think out shines the others?

No comments:

Post a Comment