Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Finished Cross Stitch

A few weeks ago I told my readers about a very special project I was asked to finish.  A wonderful and supportive woman had started a "Footprints In The Sand" cross stitch for her nephew.  Unfortunately she did not have the chance to finish the piece.

While I had no experience with cross stitch I was honored that I was asked to finish such a meaningful craft. I began right away, and learned as I went.  Thank you to any of my readers who left comments and private messaged me with tips on how to make the cross stitch come out right.  After many nights adding (and sometimes removing) stitches, the cross stitch is finished. 

I am proud that the piece is complete, but it is also bitter sweet in a way.  Ending that last stitch in a way was like letting go of another little piece of Donna.  She will always hold a special place in my heart and I hope that when her family looks at this cross stitch they are reminded of all the happy memories.  It may have been my hands that finished the project, but it was her heart behind this beautiful gift.  Her sister told me Donna was so determined to give this gift that she wore three pairs of magnifying glasses so she could see the stitches she placed on the tree tops.  While she could have easily bought a finished product it was a labor of love.

Once I finished stitching the canvas, I looked it over once more, making sure I did not miss any stitches.  Then I ironed it, back side up, on my iron's linen setting. It didn't take much, just enough to get rid of any of the wrinkles cause by the tension loop.  After, it was ready to be placed in a frame.  Take a look below at the finished cross stitch hanging in the home of Donna's loved ones.


2 comments:

  1. You are a blessing to those around you! Yes, it was Donna's gift and her hands started it but it is also the gift of your caring heart and hands that finished it. How kind of you! You are just the sort of young lady that I wish my own lovely daughter could meet. She is a 'giver' like you are and is a freshman in college. She is different from other girls her age. In many ways, she is an 'old soul'. She is kind and selfless and makes time to help others. Like you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen for your kind words. Its funny that you describe your daughter as an "old soul" because my mother says the same thing of me. It isn't always easy when you are young and feel like you are somehow different from the other people your age, but with time you come to accept and be proud of who you are. Please let your daughter know that if she ever needs someone to talk to she can email me. I'd love a new pen pal :)

    ReplyDelete