Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My First Knitting Class


For those of you who have been following recently, you know that I was asked by a friend to go to a knitting class at a local craft store.  Well Sunday was the first class and I now know the basics.  I caught on to casting on pretty quick.  I wish I could say the same about the rest. Our instructor moved kind of fast so it took me a while and some extra practice but I think I finally have knit and purl down. We learned how to increase and decrease as well. 

My initial practice piece was a mess.  As soon as I got home I took it all apart and began from scratch.  I figured out a mistake I was making on my purl rows.  I was placing the needle correctly but I was yarning over from behind my work.  Once I corrected this problem my practice piece finally looks like the beginning of a knit scarf. 

So far I am finding knitting to be harder than crochet.  I am also pretty frustrated that the in the time it would take me to crochet an entire scarf I barely have a square.  I’m hoping with time I will gain so speed.  I have one more class this Sunday and I am looking forward to learning more.  I've been doing some research on my own as well (internet, other knitters, etc) and I will post soon with some tips for beginners.

As for my class, we can bring a pattern we want to try this weekend and our teacher will help guide us through it.  Any suggestions for a cute knit scarf pattern? 

No comments:

Post a Comment