Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How To: Yarn Pom Poms

When I was a kid I think every winter hat I owned was topped with a pom pom.  I stopped wearing them when it was no longer "cool" to have that adorable fuzzy ball on the top of your head.  Well wouldn't you know that pom poms are back in style and they are no longer just for children's accessories.    

While pom poms can be a fun addition to a crochet or knit project, they are also a great way to use scrap pieces of yarn. I wanted to try creating a pom pom but I wasn't sure which of the many "pom pom tools" to purchase.  There are many options out there and I didn't know what was best.  Most of my craft friends recommend  the Susan Bates Easy Wrap Pom Pom Maker.  While I had used a friend's kit and found it easy to make, I am always trying to find ways to save money.  Though these kits are not expensive, if I could make pom poms with what I already have at home then I could put that money to use for new yarn :)  

Again after much searching I came across a homemade method that would create the cute pom poms I desired without me having to dig into my pocket.  I came across this pattern from helloknitty.com.  The Pom Pom Pattern called for cutting cardboard into shapes that mimic the plastic tools found in most pom pom kits.  While I found this method to be easy enough, one of my craft challenged friends felt this was too many steps and a little too complicated for a beginner.  

I set out again to find an alternative to allow even the most inexperienced crafters to create the pom poms they desired.  I decided to play with some scraps and see if I could find an easier method.  After a few failed attempts I found another homemade, cost efficient way to craft a pom pom.  

All that is required is a piece of cardboard, yarn, and scissors.  Follow the directions below. 

  1. Cut a piece of card board to approximately twice the width of the final pom pom size your want to create. (Tip: I try to recycle whatever I can, and I have found that the cardboard toilet paper rolls we usually throw out make great pom pom boards.)
  2. Wrap the yarn (use scraps to make a multi color pom pom).  The more yarn you wind around the cardboard the fuller your pom pom will be.  
  3. Once you have achieved the thickness you want, fold the cardboard and slide the cardboard out from inside the yarn loops.
  4. Take a long piece of yarn and place it under the center of the bundle of yarn (If I plan to attach the pom pom to a hat etc, I will make this piece long enough for me to attach the pom pom).  
  5. Tie the string around the center tight and knot it twice.
  6. Use the scissor to cut the loops both above and below the tie you just created.
  7. Fluff the pom pom to you liking and trim as necessary.
I hope this helps with creating your own handmade pom poms.  They make a great accessory to top off a hat.  I have also used them to create children's toys by adding eyes and making them little critters.  And for the animal lovers reading, I have yet to meet a cat who does not love to bounce on of these pom poms around the house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment