Monday, May 7, 2012

A weekend to recharge

Most of last week I had one of the worst head colds of my life.  I woke up Friday feeling a world better and decided it was a sign I should do something with my weekend.  As soon as I got out of work I hit the road and headed for my aunt's country getaway.  I had been resting all week, but I needed a different kind of rest.  Don't get me wrong, I love modern technology but there is something so alluring about disconnecting for a few days every now and again.  It takes a little getting use to but having no cell service isn't always a bad thing.  Not to mention the wide open space is a nice reprieve from my family's small NYC (yard lacking) apartment.  I try to get to the country as much as possible and spring with all the flowers and baby animals is a great time to visit.

The ride up was great and I even got to see a few little critters by the road.  I am a huge animal lover so even a little rabbit hopping along puts a huge smile on my face.  After the long drive I finally arrived and  every second in the car well worth it.  I am always amazed by how many stars twinkle in the country sky.  In New York City with all the lights we are lucky to see a handful on a clear night.  What a difference a few hours up north can make.      




Saturday morning I slept in, woke up to a great breakfast and then moved to my favorite spot, the porch.  I love sitting there drinking my coffee watching the birds, rabbits, fox, chipmunks, and even the occasional deer grazing on the lawn; all against the backdrop of the mountains.  This trip brought another beautiful surprise.  We have a new little visitor, Rush (as I named him) the hummingbird.  I have never seen one in person and to watch how these tiny little birds seemingly float, and then zip away is incredible.  He just kept buzzing past us all day long running for a quick snack before rushing off again.  If it wasn't for the buzz he made I wouldn't have known he was there half the time.

We ran into "town" to get a few things later in the day.  I discovered a few new antique stores that were already closed, but they are a must for my next trip up.  While I love the small organized commercial antique stores, there is something about the random "antique barn" you come across in the small country towns.  I love exploring the rooms upon rooms of random, unorganized, seemingly forgotten stuff.  When you find something you want, its like you personally discovered a treasure waiting to be taken home and brought back to life.

When we pulled up back at the house it had gotten much colder.  A group of clouds had rolled in and with the help of a beautiful big full moon they created ripples in different shades of blue across the sky. The picture does not do it justice but I thought I'd give you a glimpse.  The way the blues blended together inspired a new blanket idea.  I have a bunch of projects lined up but I'll let you know when the project is complete.  As for the rest of my trip, since Sunday meant a return to the city I tried my hardest to soak in enough country to hold me over until my next trip. I spent the rest of the night rocking on the porch wrapped in a blanket, enjoying some quality time with some people I love, and admiring the simple joys in life we so often are too busy to notice.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment